Saturday, May 29, 2010

Update

I guess you guys deserve an update.
So, the polyps have strobilated some and I got a few ephyra. Unfortunately, there is a problem with the screen. Everything is sticking to it. It seems like the spray bar isn't strong enough. I hope I can fix it before I lose some more jellies =(.

I tested the water and here are the results:
Ammonia : 0
Nitrate : 2.5
Nitrite : .5
pH : 8.5

Nitrates and Nitrites are dangerously high...
I'm cycling the tank to fix it.

Also, I've switched to live brine shrimp. I have my first culture starting now. Hopefully that feeds my polyps more.

And I've decided to move the polyps onto acrylic slides. I'm gonna scrape them off and lay down slides on the bottom. They will reattach to the slides and then I can hang them up.

Add a post if you have any ideas why my screen is sucking all the ephyra away. Or if you see a problem with the way I am going to reattach my polyps to slides.

Okay, Thanks!

And here's a cool video; you can learn something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelagia_noctiluca


1 comment:

  1. Nate - I'm sure you already thought of this, but if you increase the screen area, it should reduce the velocity across the screen for the given flowrate. (flowrate=velocity*area) Also, a less fine mesh screen would maybe help because it'd likely have a bigger opening area to thread area ratio, essentially giving you more area.

    Also, if you make the holes smaller out of the spray bar, you'll get a greater velocity out of it. It'll increase the 'head' that the pump sees (the pump has to work harder)and you'll have less pump flowrate than you had before, but yeah, the spray should be more strong. It's like putting your thumb over the end of a hose.

    Before you do anything I'd try screwing around with the angle that the bar is spraying...you might be able to deflect the ephyrae away easily from a distance so that they don't even come close to the screen.

    Hope that helps!
    Dan (the guy that's emailed you a few times)

    ReplyDelete