Saturday, March 12, 2011

Setting Up the Tank Again!!!

Hello!!!
So I've decided to set up my tank again. This time it will not be used for breeding though. I'll keep grown jellies in it.

So far, I've spray painted the whole thing black so it will be better as a display.

The pseudo-kreisel will be used for moon jellies. I'm going to get a Multi-Color E27 LED Light Bulb with Remote to put in the goose neck lamp above the tank.

Then, what used to be my polyp chamber will become a refugium. I've already got a T5 fixture for the refugium. It has two 10,000K daylight bulbs in it for now. Do you think I should put an actinic bulb in there?

I will keep a few macroalgaes, a snail or two, and some small upside down jellies in it. I will start off with the macroalgaes while the tank is cycling and maybe a piece of live rock. Then I will add some hermits and snails to make sure the tank can hold animals without killing them.
Then I'm going to get two upside down jellies to make sure the bio-filter is jelly safe.

Later, in a month or two, I'll add one moon jelly to make sure the pseudo-kreisel is moon jelly safe. Then if he does fine, I'll add two more.

Here are some pictures of the tank all painted up!

Front of the Tank
Filter Side
Refugium Side

And I know I was promising an article on Jellyfish Tankmates, I've just got to get a little more experience so I have no false info. Hang in there!

I regret building my own jellyfish aquarium. I do not yet know if it will work, but the siliconed edges aren't as nice as I would like them. If I could go back, I would have bought the P-E combo system from Jelliquarium.com as a starter tank. I spent about the same amount on my tank that I would have on the P-E combo tank, or maybe a little less. It's better to start off with a perfect tank, so you don't end up disapointed with the flaws in your DIY tank.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good. I've heard that upside down jellyfish don't get along well with moons. Even with them separated I don't know if its a great idea, since upside down jellyfish grow like weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose you're right. I believe that the upside downs can release a toxic mucus that would potentially harm the moon jellies.

    ReplyDelete